Translate

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Catelynn and Tyler: Reality TV Stars from 16 & pregnant and Teen Mom

Last night we had the opportunity to attend an event at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. It was part of a small speaking tour who's main speakers were Catelynn and Tyler, a reality TV couple who's lives were filmed as part of a documentary on MTV about teenage pregnancy. Catelynn and Tyler chose an adoption plan and their story is filled with hope and inspiration for people everywhere, young and old.

I attended the event with my long-time friend as well as my eight year old daughter. I had my daughter when I was 16 years old. I was young and naive, but had hope that everything would work out for the best. I had thought about adoption and even met with a counselor, but I knew I couldn't do that. I just didn't have the strength it takes t embark on such a journey. At that time in my live I was a child of the state of Minnesota. I lived in foster care homes and didn't really feel like I had a home or much support. It may sound crazy, but watching that show and seeing some of their triumphs and struggles made me think back to my own. I am so happy I am where I am today, but I had a lot of help getting here. But this post shouldn't be totally about me.

I drove the hour and a half drive to Minneapolis just to see them and met up with a friend on the way so that we could ride together. It was quite the adventure in the pouring rain, imagine wipers on full blast trying to see on your way home. The adventure was totally worth it. They spoke about the realities of making an adoption plan and how they feel now about it and what's in store for their future. They were very candid, yet funny at the same time. It was nice to see such a happy, playful couple. They were so relaxed and fun to hear from. After they spoke and answered questions they had a photo op time. We got in line, very excitedly, and waited for our turn. Each group took photos and then it was our turn. My 8 year old loves them and cried watching their show right along with me, so she was shaking sitting next to them. They both stood up to give her a hug and told her how happy they were to have her as their youngest fan. Afterwards their was pizza for all of the attendees, so I let my daughter grab a slice and we walked back to the front so she could watch the rest of the people have their photos taken. When everyone was done she asked me if she could ask them something, so I told her to make it quick. She asked them to do a goofy picture with her and for an autograph. They were very accommodating and even talked to us for a few minutes after. That was one thing my daughter won't forget for a while, and neither will I.

**After the event my daughter wrote about how she views adoption and how it affects the parties involved for a school project. Living life and learning too!

No comments:

Post a Comment