Translate

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lactation Cookie Recipe

I'm going to share with you the lactation cookie recipe that I use. I have combined about 5 recipes to make this recipe somewhat my own. It works very well for me and those that I have shared with. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. You may find they work too well, or for some not enough. If that is the case, adjust the brewer's yeast. Add more if it didn't help enough, or less if it helped too much. They go great with a glass of milk. I buy almond milk, the vanilla un-sweetened, as a treat when I make these.


Lactation Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar (you can use a sugar sub., although I have not tried it)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flax seed meal, or whole seeds if you like the texture
2 tablespoons chia seeds
6 tablespoons of water
2 eggs (preferably not too cold)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons brewer's yeast
3 cup rolled oats (I get the bulk thick rolled oats in the organic section of our grocer)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds 
1 cup raisins, chocolate chips, craisins, nuts, or whatever you like (this is a versatile cookie so go nuts!)
  1. Preheat oven to 375ยบ.
  2. Soak both the chia seeds and the flax seed in the water while you go through the next few steps. This will allow them time to soften. It will become gel-like.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients together, except for the sugars.
  4. Cream the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs, seed mix and vanilla. Mix well. 
  5. Slowly add your dry ingredients by stirring them together.
  6. Drop cookies by the spoonful onto an un-greased cookie sheet.
  7. Bake 10 minutes. (give or take 2-3 minutes depending on your oven, mine is perfect at 10 mins.)
  8. Savor and share!

6 comments:

  1. do i add the seeds with the water they are soaked in and where can i buy Chia seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you will add it all together. Chia seeds can usually be found in the health food section of your grocery store. I have also found them at Wal-Mart as well as Target.

      Delete
  2. I had the same question about the water. Chia seeds can be bought usually in organic section is grocery store, here it's Publix. Or s health food store would also sell them. Not sure if you can buy them at like a Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water is to make the chia seeds more gel-like. You'll soak the chia and flax in the water, then add it all together to the wet ingredients. I apologize as it seems I did leave that bit out.

      Delete
  3. Cassy - thank you for sharing your recipe with me. I finally got around to posting it - http://ybreast.com/cookies-milk-lowdown-oatmeal/
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. This is my favorite cookie recipe by far, even when not breastfeeding. Hope you and your readers enjoy!

      Delete