Translate

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Planning a Garden in Minnesota

I guess you could say we have a serious case of spring fever in this house. We're stir crazy and tired of being cold. Between cold snaps and the polar vortex, which we lovingly refer to as the snap of death, we are trying to kick start spring. In Minnesota the growing season doesn't last too terribly long and I want to make the best of it. I'm an amateur at best, but I have a great friend who has some great knowledge.

With my amateur status comes confusion and conflict. What do we want to grow? Which plants/foods suit our family best? Should I start more indoor, the transplant? Will we plant directly in the ground, or should we make some raised garden beds? What can I do to maximize my growing space? Oh, and the hardest one, what are the rules and regulations in our city? I've found that our local extension office offers great advice, as well as access to a volunteer master gardener. I hope to make use of one soon! If you have any tips, advice or questions, please post them below!

I have come to the conclusion that most of my questions draw out more questions, some of which lead to confusion. I have all of these great ideas in mind that I have picked up from Pinterest, various sustainable Facebook pages as well as Ana White's website.

What I have come to realize about myself is that I have all of these great ideas and aspirations, but rarely do I follow through. With the help of friends and a wonderful hubby, along with some pretty determined littles, we're determined to make this garden happen. I will post any DIY projects, lists of what we choose to grow as well as some random fun along the way.

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment